By providing your signature, you understand and will comply with the following:
- I understand that as a participant in the Mentor or Volunteer Program, contact with students is only to take place while at school and/or during school-related activities. Any attempts to communicate or make contact with students by mentors/volunteers outside of school are strictly prohibited.
- I understand it is the policy of the School Board of Okaloosa County to offer students the opportunity to participate in appropriate programs, services, and activities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, political belief, marital status, parenthood, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, or social and family background. (Equity Policy)
- Students, while they are in school or participating in school-related activities, are entitled to an environment free of discrimination and/or harassment by other students or adult employees or volunteers. Students should not be subjected to nor should they subject others to:
- slurs or innuendoes about any characteristics listed in the Equity Policy above;
- any activity or talk related to the equity policy above that creates an offensive educational environment or unreasonably interferes with the individual’s school performance or participation in educational opportunities;
- sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
- All employees and volunteers are expected to work with other employees, to teach students, and to supervise or to be supervised in their work by other employees without regard for race, color, religion, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, or disability.
I understand and will comply with the following:
Drug Free Workplace
- The school district complies with the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 to maintain a drug-free workplace. The “workplace” shall be defined by U.S. Code and Code of Federal Regulations - as amended from time to time.
- Each employee and the public is hereby notified by this policy that the unlawful manufacture, dispensing, possession, distribution, or use of a controlled substance or alcohol is strictly prohibited at any and all work sites or work related functions or as a part of any school activity, or any function held on school board property.
I am aware that for the protection of students, the Okaloosa County School District requires and conducts FDLE Sexual Offender and Predator screenings on all volunteers. National and Florida Department of Law Enforcement background checks are conducted on all school mentors and spot background checks on school volunteers. In addition, volunteer coaches and overnight field trip chaperones will be fingerprinted. I hereby approve of such a check on my background.
I am also aware that Social Security Numbers shall be collected from District volunteer program applicants for:
(a) Initial background screening not requiring fingerprints for any volunteer applicant who declares, or has had, a prior arrest; and,
(b) For full criminal background screening (Level II Screening- §435.04, Fla. Stat.) for service as a one-on-one mentor, over night field trip chaperone, volunteer coach, or random applicant volunteer screening.