Saugus Union School District thanks you for your interest in serving as a volunteer. The time you spend volunteering with students can have a huge impact on their self-esteem, behavior, academic achievement, and social development.Volunteer services can encompass a wide variety of activities and/or areas of interest. While the list below is not all inclusive, the following are some examples of common volunteer opportunities: After School Volunteer (Level 2), Chaperone (Level 2), Classroom Helper (Level 1), Office Helper (Level 1), Library Helper (Level 1), Fundraising (Level 1), Parent Committee Member (Level 1), Read With Me Volunteer (Level 1), Tutor (Level 1), Valet (Level 1).The levels associated with each volunteer function are based on being under the direct supervision of District staff. A Level 1 (L1) volunteer is always under the supervision of District staff. A Level 2 (L2) volunteer may not be under the direct supervision of District staff and will be required to submit to a LiveScan criminal background check at his/her own cost. For a one-time Level 2 activity, the cost is approximately $43, for on-going Level 2 activities, the cost is approximately $72. Regardless of what form or direction your volunteer services take, your generosity in donating time, assistance, and/or expertise is very much appreciated. With the generous and caring support of volunteers such as yourself, the opportunities to meet the individual needs of each student are greatly increased.The following webpages constitutes the application for volunteer service. It may be beneficial to review the documents on the District website (http://www.saugususd.org/Parents--Students/Volunteers/index.html) before you begin. If you have selected to perform functions requiring a LiveScan criminal background check, staff from your school office will contact you.We believe that volunteering with the Saugus Union School District will add a positive dimension to your life in addition to the many benefits our students and staff will receive as a result of your involvement. If you have any questions regarding any aspect of the volunteer experience, please do not hesitate to contact the Site Principal for further information. On behalf of our students and staff, all volunteer assistance is deeply appreciated and we look forward to your association with Saugus Union School District.Warm regards,Colleen Hawkins, Ed.D.Superintendent
TB clearance verification is required for all volunteers.
By providing your signature, you are confirming your understanding and agreement to the following:
1. Pursuant to Penal Code 290.95, when applying or accepting a position as a volunteer, I am required to disclose to school officials if I am a registered sex offender pursuant to Penal Code 290. Failure to disclose this fact could result in arrest, prosecution, fine, and/or imprisonment. By my electronic signature, I declare under penalty of perjury, that (1) I am not a registered sex offender, pursuant to Penal Code 290, and/or do not have any related offenses pursuant to Penal Code 290.95 that require disclosure to school officials, and/or (2) I have not suffered convictions for sex or drug related offenses or for crimes of violence, and that there are no criminal charges pending against me, and/or (3) I have disclosed all relevant information applicable to and/or required by sections (1) and (2) to the District.
2. If, subsequent to approval of this application and/or commencement of participation in volunteer activities, I am convicted of any crime or offense pursuant to Penal Code 290.95, I must notify the Principal immediately and understand that I cannot commence and/or continue participation in volunteer activities.
3. The District considers applicants for volunteer positions without regard to sex, race, age, religion, national origin, veteran or marital status, or any other legally protected status. The District may provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities when it would not be an undue hardship.
4. I hereby waive liability against the District for checking criminal background and references, and against persons or organizations providing such references for any statements made in relation to my proposed volunteer work at the District.
5. I understand that I will not receive remuneration or other benefits as a result of participation in volunteer activities with the District except for workers’ compensation insurance coverage as permitted by law.
6. I understand that if authorized as a volunteer, I will abide by the Saugus Union School District Volunteer Guidelines that can be reviewed here (http://www.saugususd.org/Volunteers/index.html). I further understand that failure to comply with said guidelines may result in disciplinary actions up to and including termination of volunteer status and/or legal intervention.
Your volunteer application has been successfully submitted and will be reviewed per the district’s volunteer policy. In the near future, you will be notified as to your volunteer status. If you have any questions, please call your school office.