VIPS Volunteer Guidelines
UPDATED April 6, 2021
The health and well-being of all staff, students and visitors is a top priority for Volusia County Schools. Due to COVID-19, volunteer opportunities have been very limited this school year. Now that the CDC guidelines for physical distancing in schools have been relaxed to 3 feet, we are excited to welcome a limited number of volunteers back in schools beginning April 12, 2021.
This is part of VCS’ gradual reopening of some activities impacted by the coronavirus pandemic, while continuing to follow guidelines to keep students, employees, and volunteers safe.
- wearing a face covering/mask
- frequent handwashing
- maintaining a physical distance of at least 3 feet
- staying home when sick
- Volunteers must never be alone with students.
- Volunteers must be within the line of sight of a teacher or VCS employee.
- Mentors must be trained by the school or VIPS Department before being matched.
- Students must have a signed parent permission form on file (“forever letter” that is valid until permission is withdrawn).
- Each year, all volunteer applications expire on June 30.
- If a new application was not submitted for the 2020-21 school year, volunteers must reapply. Approvals will be valid through June 30, 2021.
It is very important that the information you enter on the application matches your government issued identification card including your full legal name. It is important that you provide a valid email address so you can be notified as to the status of your application and for future communication.The first time you volunteer at a school, please be prepared to have your ID scanned into our system.Thank you, District Volunteer Coordinator
Please upload a brief synopsis of your topic. After processing and receiving approval of your application to volunteer, an email will be sent to the schools informing them of your available topic. This email is sent twice a year. An interested teacher will contact you directly to make all arrangements regarding your presentation.
If you do not wish to upload a speaker topic at this time, click "PREVIOUS" at the bottom of the screen and then uncheck Speakers Bureau.
By providing your signature, you are agreeing to abide by the rules and regulations of Volusia County Schools Volunteer Program. To view the School Volunteer Handbook, click on this link: School Volunteer Handbook
Your volunteer application has been successfully submitted and will be reviewed per the district’s volunteer policy. In the near future, you will be notified as to your volunteer status. If you have any questions, please request to speak with the volunteer coordinator at the school where you have chosen to volunteer.